30 Apr: Change of Dinner Speaker

John Powers, Executive Director Kitsap County Co Economic Development Alliance,  will be unable to  speak as our Dinner Speaker on April 30th 5:30pm to 7:30pm at McClouds’ Grill House, 2901 Perry Ave., Bremerton, 98310.

We plan on discussing the County Building Permit process as administered by the Department of Community Development. The Kitsap County Building & Fire Code states that you must have a separate building permit for each building before you can erect, construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, improve, remove, convert or demolish any building or structure.

The following projects require Permits http://www.kitsapgov.com/dcd/forms/Residential/Residential.htm

Home Businesses
Residential Projects

  •  Deck – Uncovered
  • Demolition Work
  • Emergency Repair Work
  • Fence – over 7 feet but under 8 feet in height
  • Mechanical and/or Plumbing

Minor Remodel:

  • Re-roof
  • Re-Siding
  • Window Replacement
  • Interior Work (See Supplemental Application)

A building permit is NOT required for some projects. However you must obtain separate plumbing, electrical and mechanical permits unless the items are otherwise exempted.

If you hire someone to perform the work, they must be a registered contractor—it’s the law in Washington State. To verify your contractor’s information, contact the Washington State Department of Labor and Industries (phone: (360)415-4000; website: www.LNI.wa.gov

Electrical work requires a separate permit from the Washington State Department of Labor and Industries (phone: (360)415-4000; website: www.LNI.wa.gov

A permit may not be required for:

For the safety of you, your family and your property, prior to any digging call the Underground Utilities Locate service at 811. Location and marking of underground utilities is a free service for residential customers.

  • Fences under seven feet tall
  • Painting a house or trim
  • Installing or replacing gutters.
  • A residential storage shed under 200 square feet or
  • a commercial storage shed under 120 square feet
  • Digging a new garden or planting trees or bushes.
  • Note: Be sure to check for any underground wires and cables, such as phone or electrical lines or TV cables
  • Installing a concrete patio
  • Painting, wallpapering, or paneling walls
  • Installing or replacing woodwork or molding (around doors, windows, ceilings, floors)
  • Replacing window coverings such as drapes, shutters, or blinds
  • Tearing up or installing flooring such as carpeting, wood, or vinyl Note: The old flooring may contain asbestos, contact a licensed asbestos removal company.
  • Installing battery-operated smoke alarms or carbon monoxide detectors. Note: Hard wired smoke detectors DO require an electrical permit from L&I


Mechanical and Plumbing Fees are included in the building permit fee for new single- family residences. For all other permit types, mechanical and plumbing fees are based on valuation with a minimum fee of $75.

A non-refundable Base Application Fee of $90 is collected for each permit application unless otherwise noted.

  • Re Roofing                  $130
  • Hot Tub                      $130
  • Demolition                 $130
  • Plumbing Fee min     $ 75
  • Electric           min     $75

Permit Fee Multipliers (PFM) (multiplied by the project value to determine fee amount)

.0174 – Residential projects and commercial mechanical/plumbing elements – includes plan review. For new residential construction only, the fee includes mechanical and plumbing.

No RSVP needed Questions? Contact: Jackie Rossworn at (360) 990-1088

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s